St. George’s Episcopal Church began as a mission of the Diocese of Tennessee in 1934, with the first service held that year on Sunday, June 17, in the Germantown Presbyterian Church. On March 17, 1937, the first church building was consecrated by Bishop Maxon. The mission progressed steadily until 1940 when it became a parish.
In April 1953, the congregation purchased the home of Mr. and Mrs. Philip B. Winston, along with 19 acres, on Tennessee Highway 72 (Poplar Avenue today). The home’s hobby shop was converted into the church, while the home became the rectory. A grand task for some in the small congregation, this move proved fortuitous as subsequent growth necessitated larger facilities.
By 1976 it became obvious that the church needed additional space to accommodate its continuing growth. The vestry decided St. George’s should have a new church building and that the old church should be used as a parish hall. Construction began August 4, 1977, followed by the first service in the new church in February 1979, with the official dedication in March of that year.
In 1981, Germantown Presbyterian Church gave the original 1937 small, wooden church building to St. George’s parish. The little church was moved from beside the Presbyterian Church to its present home on St. George’s hill where it is now used as a chapel. It was rededicated on June 15, 1983.
With all this new space came more parochial growth: Church membership and activities and the addition of a day school pre-kindergarten program. By 1986 the vestry clearly understood that more space would be needed. Consequently, in January 1987, ground was broken for two more buildings. A year later, the Gibson Building was completed to provide new parish offices and education and meeting facilities, and the McCarroll Building opened its doors to provide new nursery and kindergarten rooms. The church was been enhanced by the addition of a columbarium, bell tower and labyrinth.
A new period of change, challenge and opportunity began June 15, 2004, when an agreement was signed between the church and St. George's Independent School. The physical plant and property on Poplar Ave was sold to the school and the search began for a new location for our church home. The perfect location was found at the corner of South Germantown Parkway and McVay Road, and construction began in 2006. The church was consecrated on Dec 1, 2007.
St. George's Milestones
- January 15, 1924 - Diocesan Convention received the title to the Strickland lot on the NE.corner of Germantown Road and Spring Street in Germantown.
- August 1, 1934 - Application for mission status.
- July 1934- March 1937 - St. George’s congregation worships in the Germantown Masonic Lodge on Spring Street directly across from the Strickland lot.
- October 11, 1936 - Cornerstone laying of St. George’s Episcopal Mission at Germantown.
- March 28, 1937 (Easter) - Consecration of church building by Bishop Maxon.
- January 30, 1944 - St. George’s Parish recognized by the Convention of The Diocese of Tennessee (The Diocese of West Tennessee was formed in 1982).
- 1946 - Rectory built site on south of the Masonic Lodge.
- 1947 - A vestry room and two classrooms were added to the church structure.
- June 11, 1953 - Title received to property between Poplar Avenue and Dogwood Road.
- August 30, 1953 - First services in sanctuary on Poplar Avenue.
- September 4, 1953 - Deconsecration of Church at the corner of Germantown Road and Spring Street.
- June 23, 1959 - St. George’s Day School chartered.
- June 1964 - Rectory on Dogwood Rd. constructed.
- October 26-28, 1972 - First Antiques Arcade.
- February 18, 1979 - First services in new sanctuary on Poplar Avenue campus.
- March 4, 1979 - Consecration of new Poplar Avenue sanctuary by Bishop Sanders.
- April 10, 1981 - St. George’s original church (“the Chapel”) moved to Poplar Avenue campus
- April 23, 1982 - Chapel cornerstone laid
- June 15, 1983 - Consecration of Chapel by Bishop Dixon
- January 1988 - Gibson and McCarroll buildings constructed
- December 28, 1992 - Fire in Chapel
- December 22, 1995 - Dedication of Columbarium and Memorial Garden
- November 14, 1999 - Dedication of Labyrinth
- June 2004 - Poplar Ave. church campus sold to St. George’s Independent School
- April 23, 2006 - Groundbreaking for new church at 2425 South Germantown Road
- October 12, 2006 - Contracts awarded, work begun on South Germantown Road site
- November 25, 2007 - Deconsecration of church at Poplar Avenue
- December 1, 2007 - Consecration of South Germantown Road church by Bishop Johnson